Bubble and Squeak
4 cups cooked potatoes, barely mashed
4 cups cabbage, chopped and blanched
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
1 small bunch of chives
1 cup cooked ham, diced
4 bacon slices, cooked; reserve drippings
Pepper to taste
½ cup turnips, boiled and mashed (optional)
- Mix all ingredients into the potatoes except the bacon drippings.
- Heat the drippings in a frying pan then add the potato mixture and form a large flat cake.
- Brown over medium heat.
- Invert over plate and serve.
Baked Cod and Bacon
1 medium onion sliced
6 Tbsp. butter divided
1 lb potatoes, parboiled and sliced
Sea salt and pepper to taste
4 Cod steaks, or any white fish
½ lb smoked bacon
1 ¼ cups light cream
Chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sauté onion in 4 tablespoons butter until golden
- Place some of the onions in the bottom of a baking dish and layer sliced potatoes on top.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Put the cod steaks on top and cover with bacon and remaining sautéed onions.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Pour the cream in and dot with remaining butter.
- Return to oven for another 40 minutes.
- Cover with parsley and serve.
Honey Wheat Bread
2 ½ cups wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ cup light honey
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 ½ cups buttermilk
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 Tbsp. grated orange rind
1. Mix all ingredients together, beating until well blended.
2. Pour into a greased and floured 9 by 5 inch loaf pan, or if using a Dutch oven shape into a round and put into an unheated 10″ oven.
3. Let stand for 20 minutes.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes. (Dutch oven 14 coals on top, 7 on the bottom)
5. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool.